The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. Lao Tzu
It’s only natural that we have highs and lows in our journey to achieving our dreams. The difference between making it and not making it, is how you handle ourselves during the ‘challenging’ moments, when you simply feel like giving up.
Firstly, remember you are never alone. Many of us go through this rollercoaster and there are no boundaries on what can be the triggers or cause. When you find yourself in these lows, it’s so important to remember that others have been here before and survived, and come out to achieve their dreams. Many have even exceeded the expectations of their dreams.
A very wise woman (my mum) always said to me growing up ‘take it one step at a time’ and ‘don’t go crossing all the bridges’. She was so right. Focusing on the step in front of you rather than looking down the road at all the steps you need to take eliminates those feelings of being overwhelmed and wanting to give up. As for crossing those bridges, no point crossing them until you have to. Meaning there is no point worrying about situations that may never actually occur. Focus on the now, the immediate step or action needing to be taken.
Understandably, when emotions come into play we can find ourselves so caught up that we can’t reason with our logic. So what to do when you feel like giving up?
- Remember why you started.
- Acknowledge the steps you’ve achieved so far in the journey, big and small.
- Find some inspirational images or trinkets to keep with or near you so you are constantly reminder of how much you’ve wanted this dream.
- Talk to your community. It’s important to talk about your feelings and what’s going on inside your head. Remember your tribe can be family, friends, business + life coach, network groups or other professionals. Having a community with variety people enables you to engage with the right person for the right situation.
- Step away and do something purely self-indulgence and hundred percent solely for you. Shifting your focus will help you actually gain more focus and clarity on your dream when you come back to refocus.
- Have a good cry. Crying is NOT a bad thing at all, it’s in fact great therapy and can help lighten the mood, and make you feel better.
- Go for a walk and get some fresh air.
- Visualise how you will feel when you complete your dream and are living in the moment of success.
Remember, your dream is your dream. Take it one step at a time and if you do experience moments of wanting to give up, be kind to yourself and do one of the above actions. You deserve to fulfill that dream. The only time limit is the one you place on yourself, so don’t hesitate to pause for a moment.